The part of Cape Cod farthest from the mainland is called the Outer Cape. With windswept sand dunes, pristine fresh water ponds, and pounding surf, you feel closer to nature here than anywhere else on the Cape. If you want to spend your days on nature trails and 30 miles of open beaches and enjoy fine dining at night, Wellfleet is for you!
Indian Neck Beach, one of five beaches easily accessible from Oyster Cove, can be reached by a pleasant walk along the cove. For the more ambitious, a stroll along the harbor edge at low tide leads to Uncle Tim's Bridge and the center of town. In Wellfleet, you can find shopping, art galleries, restaurants, and a real "Olde Cape Codde" experience.
Sightseeing spots less than 20 minutes away include Provincetown, a fishing town that also boasts an historic lighthouse and a thriving community of artists. The Cape Cod National Seashore includes several visitors centers and miles of marked nature trails. Nearby swimming, biking, golfing, kayaking, fishing, sailing and whale watching can be easily arranged.
What do you have in mind? Maybe we can help you find it.
Things to do:
- Beachcombing on miles of Cape Cod National Seashore beaches
- Biking (Cape Cod Rail Trail and bike rentals)
- Birding (guided walks in the Audubon Wellfleet Bay Sanctuary)
- Dining Out (there are many fine places to choose from)
- Fishing Trips (stripers, blues, tuna...Dick knows where to go)
- Flea Market (largest on Cape Cod; Fri, Sat & Sun at Wellfleet Drive-In)
- Fly a Kite (or go para-sailing off the back shore dunes)
- Gallery Hopping (Wellfleet is 'the gallery town', also P'town)
- Golfing (Chequessett Yacht & Golf Club and Highland 9 hole 'links')
- Hiking (miles of trails and beaches in the Cape Cod National Seashore)
- Jogging (on the back roads trails and beaches)
- Kayaking, Stand-Up Paddling and Windsurfing (in harbor or fresh water ponds)
- Movies (Wellfleet Cinema (4 theaters or Drive-In)
- Music (Beachcomber, Cape Cod Chamber Music Series, Preservation Hall, Payomet)
- Nature Walks (on your own or guided by Park rangers)
- Provincetown Visit (plan to spend a half day and have a meal there)
- Read a Book (we have Thoreau, Mailer, etc. in our library)
- Sailing (rent a day sailer at the town pier and explore the harbor)
- Shop (what are you looking for? Sandy can point you to it.)
- Square Dancing (on the town pier every Wed. evening)
- Swimming (fresh or salt, ocean or bay, surf or sand bar)
- Tennis Anyone? (several public courts to go to)
- Theater: New (Wellfleet Harbor Actors Theater W.H.A.T.)
- Truro's Highland Light (picturesque light house on the way to P'town)
- Whale Watching (1/2 day trip to Stellwagen Bank from Provincetown)